Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Pet that I Want


Conference #2 rolled around and I felt more comfortable in letting Cindy sound out words by herself because this particular book had more pictures that related to the text. There were some moments where she need some help deciphering words. For example, one page contained the slur "through". Because the class hadn't learned about slurs yet, I needed to help her so that she could continue to read. There were also times where I had to break apart a word in order for her to see that she knew some parts of the word which would help her decode it! Here's an example:


Cindy: The pet that I want does not ........ (pause)... not..... (pause)

Me: So if we cover this "f", what does it look like?

Cindy: fffff... fit! rrrrrrr.......rrrrrr....

Me: So "th" "rrr", Thats a tough one cuz...

Cindy: through the door.


All Cindy needed was to recognize the parts of the words that she already knew and she was able to use that strategy later on in the story!


(Track 3 on disc)

No comments: