
During my second reading conference with Cindy, I went ahead and chose my own books for her based on her level of reading. I decided to go for a level J book which is typically a second grade level book, but I knew that she would be able to do it! Because this book didn't have a lot of repeating phrases and words, it actually made her think more about how to decipher what she was reading.
Here is what I discovered:
1) She paused on words that she didn't know and worked hard to try to break apart the word.
2) Picture cues helped her in guessing a word.
3) Simply pointing to parts of a word with my finger made it easier for her figure out the word.
4) Though she needed help on some of the words, she was learning some of my reading strategies and using them later in the book.
5) Sometimes I had to go back to phonics as a part of the deciphering process.
6) She knew that words within quotation marks sounded different than the other words on the page.
Though she struggled on some parts of the reading, I have to remember that she is a kindergartener! If anything, her smart ways of reading need to be celebrated!
(Track 2 on disc)
No comments:
Post a Comment