
I spoke with Mrs. Crawford about the level of text she had chosen for Cindy and she seemed to have everything figured out! She gave me a small book that had repetitious words/phrases and pictures that matched the text. I thought, "Maybe this might help me understand what Cindy already knows." Well, turns out that Cindy got a 100% on her Running Record, so I basically learned NOTHING!
Then I thought to myself, "Hey! I have an Eric Carle book in my bag! I'll go grab that." So I handed The Tiny Seed to her and she seemed pleased that the book was of a greater volume! She opened the book and began to read. During this new running record, I learned that she has a very large "small word" vocabulary and that breaking apart larger words was a little difficult but Cindy was able to read a sentence, go back to a part that she didn't understand and try to find a word that made sense to her. Even if she was unable to come up with the correct word, she was still able to find the meaning of the text! This is when I knew I had a lot to learn about reading strategies.

1 comment:
Breaking large words into smaller words is a great idea. T coudln't sound out "treasure" but if I had used this strategy and showed him that "sure" was in the word, I'm sure it woudl have helped. Good thinking on your part!
Post a Comment