Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sally's New Shoes

Sally's New Shoes was the book that Cindy read for our first conference. This book was one that had repeating phrases that only changed one word as the pages changed so I felt that this book would be a good book choice when working on a child's fluency. She was able to understand the pattern as she moved along in the book which made it easier for her to read more fluently. At the end of the book, the pattern changed which kind of threw her off but she was able to go back and make sense as to why the pattern changed. The reading went as such:

Cindy: Sally's New Shoes
I'm going to walk in my new shoes.
I'm going to run in my new shoes.
I'm going to jump in my new shoes.
I'm going to hop in my new shoes.
I'm going to climb in my new shoes.
I'm going to dance in my new shoes.
I'm going to (pause) swim in my new shoes.

Me: But she's not wearing her shoes! (pause)
Alright, so I'm going to have you read it again and I want you to make it sound like you're talking. So instead of being like "I'm...going... to... walk... in... my... new shoes" You are going to say "I'm going to walk in my new shoes because it sounds like you're talking to someone, huh? Try it one more time!

I didn't criticize any of the miscues that she made like continuing the pattern on the last page when it was supposed to read "But I'm not going to swim in my new shoes". Instead, I had her focus on her fluency and in turn, she recognized the change in pattern on her second try! It's crazy how they can fix their miscues by simply having another try!

(Track 1 on disc)

No comments: